Saturday 28 June 2014

About my stories and looking back!

It’s been nine months since I went into full-time writing and it’s been an amazing and fulfilling ride. Writing romance and erotic fiction brings a sense of satisfaction that I’ve never found with other genres.

When I start writing a story, I never know what’s going to happen. The characters lead me, rather than I, lead them. My writing process always starts as an idea. It could be a word, a song or just something I’ve observed that starts the ideas flowing.

Even though I start with an idea, the end result is never what I plan it to be. It’s the strangest, but greatest feeling when the end of the story shocks me. My life is built around each of my characters; I try to imagine what they would feel like in certain situations. I tend to write what I feel, rather than what is selling.  When I got the idea to write ‘The Girl with the Curves’, I was in bed, in the middle of reading a novel by a well known author. I stopped for a moment after I’d read the description of a character and thought, ‘Gosh! Where are all the other women in this world?’ I never get to read about them much, and as far as I’m aware, there are billions of different and unique people on this planet. And so my story about a strong curvy woman began.

When I wrote the Jasmine and Zack series, ‘The Look In His Eyes’, I had thought about what it would feel like to have a mental illness no one understood. I wanted Jasmine to find love, despite her disability. The next series I’m writing has a similar theme. It isn’t a disability, but it’s about things we don’t hear much about. I guess, I like to bring to light, that which is hardly spoken about.

My stories are about everyday people who want and deserve love just like everybody else. They don’t have to look or be a certain way to find love, they just have to be human.

To be human is amazing! To be yourself is even better! I hope my stories continue to entertain, and thank you for all your support!


- Iris

2 comments:

  1. Hi Iris!

    Love your approach!

    I’m very similar in my writing too. I live with characters and they begin to tell me about themselves. It reaches a point where they dictate to me what they will or will not do or say. And as the story evolves from the dynamics of their feelings and actions, I am surprised by the ending. It’s an exciting way to write.

    And I too am interested in writing about ‘normal’ and ‘real’ people, including people with handicaps (although I haven’t yet). And people who are not necessarily role model material, nor the most confident or successful in life. Even broken people, inadequate, afraid, outcasts, misfits. For me the story has to come from the character. It’s all about who the person is.

    And I too write what I feel rather than what is listed as selling. I have to write from the heart or it doesn’t happen.

    Anyway, just wanted to say hi, because I was struck by how similar our approaches are. What you’ve said in your post makes me very interested to read your work. I’m a slow reader on a tight budget, so it might take a while but I’m definitely going to add your work to my ‘to but as soon as poss’ list.

    Ciao for now!
    Reuben

    (P.S.- this is my second attempt at commenting as the first try vanished into techno land somewhere – so, sorry if it doubles up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Reuben, thank you for posting a comment! It's nice to know you have a similar approach to writing! It's much more fulfilling that way! I guess I love to tell stories about real people because I do get tired of the same type of characters, our world is so diverse, we should embrace it.

    It's really nice to meet you, and thank you for adding me to your list :-)

    ReplyDelete